Scholarly resources using the data are listed here. If you have used the data and would like your paper or book listed here, please let us know.
- Ruger, William P., and Jason Sorens (2016). Freedom in the 50 States: An Index of Personal and Economic Freedom, 4th ed. Washington, D.C.: Cato Institute.
- Jaeger, William P., Jeffrey Lyons, & Jennifer Wolak (2016). “Political Knowledge and Policy Representation in the States.” American Politics Research .
- Caughey, Devin, & Christopher Warshaw (2015). “The Dynamics of State Policy Liberalism, 1936–2014.” American Journal of Political Science DOI: 10.1111/ajps.12219.
- Cebula, Richard J., Maggie Foley, and Joshua C. Hall. “Freedom and gross in-migration: an empirical study of the post-great recession experience.” Journal of Economics and Finance (2015): 1-19.
- Carmody, Casey and David Pritchard (2015), “Policy Liberalism, Public Opinion, and Strength of Journalist’s Privilege in the American States,” First Amendment Studies 49 (1): 31-43.
- Flavin, Patrick (2015), “Direct Democracy and Political Equality in the American States,” Social Science Quarterly 96 (1): 119-32.
- Flavin, Patrick (2015), “Lobbying Regulations and Political Equality in the American States,” American Politics Research 43 (March): 304-26.
- Belasen, Ariel R., Rik W. Hafer, and Shrikant P. Jategaonkar. “Economic Freedom and State Bond Ratings.” Contemporary Economic Policy (2014).
- Cebula, Richard J. “The Impact of Economic Freedom and Personal Freedom on Net In-Migration in the US: A State-Level Empirical Analysis, 2000 to 2010.” Journal of Labor Research 35, no. 1 (2014): 88-103.
- Johnson, Noel D., William Ruger, Jason Sorens, and Steven Yamarik. “Corruption, regulation, and growth: an empirical study of the United States.” Economics of Governance 15, no. 1 (2014): 51-69.
- Cebula, Richard J., Maggie Foley, and Robert Boylan (2014), “The impact of unionization and other factors on undocumented immigrant settlement patterns in the US,” Applied Economics Letters 21 (4): 272-75.
- Weber, Rick and Benjamin Powell (2013), “Economic Freedom and Entrepreneurship: A Panel Study of the United States,” American Journal of Entrepreneurship 6 (1): 67-87.
- Ruger, William, and Jason Sorens (2013 ). Freedom in the 50 States: An Index of Personal and Economic Freedom, 3rd ed. (Arlington, VA: Mercatus Center at George Mason University).
- Sorensen, Todd, Supriya Sarnikar, and Ronald L. Oaxaca (2012), “Race and Gender Differences Under Federal Sentencing Guidelines,” American Economic Review 102 (3): 256-60.
- Dávila, Alberto, and Marie T. Mora. “Terrorism and Patriotism: On the Earnings of US Veterans following September 11, 2001.” American Economic Review 102, no. 3 (2012): 261-266.
- Apergis, Nicholas, Oguzhan C. Dincer, and James E. Payne (2012), “Live Free or Bribe: On the Causal Dynamics Between Economic Freedom and Corruption in U.S. States,” European Journal of Political Economy 28 (2): 215-26.
- Cebula, Richard J. and J.R. Clark (2011), “Migration, Economic Freedom, and Personal Freedom: An Empirical Analysis,” Journal of Private Enterprise 27 (1): 43-62.
- Holcomb, Jefferson E., Tomislav V. Kovandzic, and Marian R. Williams (2011), “Civil asset forfeiture, equitable sharing, and policing for profit in the United States,” Journal of Criminal Justice 39 (3, May–June): 273-285. link
- Washington, Emily (2011). “A Comparison of Indices that Rank State Economic Competitiveness.” Available at mercatus.org.
- Yandle, Bruce, and Tate Watkins (2010). “Tracking ‘Go-Getters’ Across America,” Regulation 33 (2): 10.
- Rigby, Elizabeth, and Gerald C. Wright (2010). “Whose Statehouse Democracy? Policy Responsiveness to Poor versus Rich Constituents in Poor versus Rich States.” In Peter Enns & Christopher Wlezien (eds.), Who Gets Represented? (New York: Russell Sage).
- Ackerson, Leland K., and S.V. Subramian (2010). “Negative Freedom and Death in the United States.” American Journal of Public Health 100 (11); 2163-2164. link
- Ewald, Alec C. (2009). “Criminal Disenfranchisement and the Challenge of American Federalism.” Publius: The Journal of Federalism 39 (3): 529-556. link
- Sorens, Jason, Fait Muedini, and William P. Ruger (2008). “U.S. State and Local Public Policies in 2006: A New Database.” State Politics and Policy Quarterly 8 (3): 309-26. Download paper here.
- The POWERMUTT Project, U.S. States – dataset incorporating our policy conservatism indicator